Making The Law Easier For You

Making The Law Easier For You

4 mistakes to avoid during a workers’ compensation claim

by | Jun 24, 2019 | Injuries

If you suffer an injury on the job in Missouri, one of the remedies available to you may be workers’ compensation. Unfortunately, many workers make critical mistakes that lead to claim denials.

Knowing how to properly file a workers’ compensation claim after a workplace accident can help you avoid a denial the first time around. This can help you obtain the recovery you need during a hard time. 

  1. Missing an important deadline 

You must file your workers’ compensation claim within the deadline of the Division of Workers’ Compensation to qualify for benefits. This deadline is within two years of the date of injury or within three years if your employer does not file for you. Be sure to report your accident to your employer as soon as possible. 

  1. Delaying medical care

 Do not wait to see a doctor after suffering a workplace injury or illness. Make your appointment right away with a physician of your employer’s choosing. You may choose your own doctor if you agree to pay for the service on your own. Delaying medical care could make a workers’ compensation insurance company think your injuries were not very serious. Always follow a doctor’s treatment instructions. 

  1. Not looking for work 

One of the most common reasons for benefit denials is the employee not looking for work. This applies to cases in which the worker has recovered to the extent of being able to work on a lesser scale than before. If you have a partial disability, it is your responsibility to look for work you can perform. Even if this work does not exist, you must still show you are making an effort. 

  1. Dealing with your claim alone

Negotiating a workers’ compensation claim can be difficult as an injured worker. While you deal with your physical recovery, let a professional assist with your financial one. Working with a lawyer could help you avoid a claim denial. If the Division does deny your claim, an attorney could help you file an appeal.